Tuesday, March 3, 2009
File Under: Um, that didn't work...
Last Friday I put my sugar snap pea starts out, watered them in, and covered them with mulch. I was out of town all day Saturday, but got back late Sunday afternoon. The very first thing I did was check on the peas. It was clear from the limp leaves that they were struggling. I watered them again and hoped for the best, but by the next morning I knew I'd lost them.
I don't know if it was the sudden cold snap we had on Friday night, or the fact that I didn't water them on Saturday, or that it just wasn't going to work to transplant them. In any case, I'm going to sow the seeds directly this morning and try again, though it may be late in the season to get a good crop from seed.
I do like how my tripod turned out. If you'll remember, this is from the juniper wood my mother's neighbor cut down and was going to discard:
I also put out my arugula starts yesterday, and am currently protecting them with a cold frame. They looked a little shocky when I left them, though, so I'm hoping they don't go the way of the peas...
Ah well, it's all a learning process. Good thing I have plenty of arugula seeds left.